Name: Cheryl Brohier
Position: Office Administrator Volunteer
Organisation: Sligo Centre for Independent Living Ltd
- What volunteer role did you do/are you doing?
* English Tutor to migrants (Failte Isteach) – mid 2013 to June 2015
* Fleadh Cheoil 2014 & 2015 (Fleadh Office) – 6 to 8 weeks
* Tutor – Basic Internet Skills (Sligo Leader) – Feb to June 2015
* Office Administrator Sligo CIL – mid 2013 until now
- Why did you apply/decide to volunteer?
When I moved to Ireland in October 2012 (from Belgium) there were no jobs available. I wished to integrate into the Irish system as soon as possible so registered for a course at JobClub in December. I was then advised to check out volunteer jobs as an intermediary measure since job vacancies were still scarce.
- Why did you apply/decide to contact Sligo Volunteer Centre?
Josette Newman from Sligo Leader advised me to take a look at volunteer.ie website.
- If you applied to volunteer to improve your career- do you think it helped?
The variety of volunteer jobs have certainly helped me develop extra skills.
- Would you recommend Sligo Volunteer Centre to your family/friends?
- Any other comments?
Thank you for your quick and helpful response to every application I made for the above voluntary jobs.